I'm so excited to bring you the 4th and final episode of the series of interviews from the MS Gym's Thrive Summit, previously available to members only.
I'm even more excited that the interview is with fan favorite, and former guest, registered dietitian, Ahna Crum. Ahna, who's certified in Integrative and Functional Medical Nutrition, will be completing her masters in Human Nutrition and Functional Medicine by the end of this year. As juicy as her credentials sound, her previous series on MS and diets are even juicier, and I don't even think she knows this, but they still hold the record for the most downloads of any episodes in MS Gym Podcast history. She's that good!
This particular 5 to Thrive interview you'll be listening to today is no less stellar and focuses on five crucial areas of importance when it comes to diet and living with MS. I had to re-listen to it today to take notes for the episode and it sucked me in all over again. Hanging on every word.
It's important to note that in this episode, there are multiple times Ahna refers to a handout that the attendees of the Thrive Summit received as part of her presentation. A link to that handout will be in the Episode Notes and I highly recommend you download it. It takes all the information that you will hear in the interview and dives even deeper into each topic. I've read the entire handout and it's really a must have.
- True results come with testing and individualization
- Inflammation and joint health
- Inflammation as it relates to added sugars
- How the inflammation presents itself
- Blood sugar dysregulation
- Neurotransmitter balance
- Sugar from fruits
- Sports drinks
- Weight gain
- Hormone imbalance
- Circadian rhythm
- Defining neurotransmitters
- GABA is a big one! Why you need it.
- Why too much Glutamate can be a problem
- Baclofen and GABA
- Ingestion is not the same as absorption
- Magnesium and the neurotransmitter connection
- Magnesium glycinate
- GABA and sleep
- How much sleep you should be getting with MS
- No sleep, no healing
- Inflammation and oxidative stress
- Don't skip carbs
- Choosing the right carbohydrates
- Good carbs and bad carbs
- Choosing whole foods sources
- Why the glycemic index matters
- Protein for healing
- Protein and exercise
- Nine essential amino acids
- A vegan or vegetarian approach and why it's harder work
- Vitamin B12 is not found in plants
- MS and the fat controversy
- Omega 3 intake to balance Omega 6
- Good fats and bad fats
- What about butter?
- A challenge to drink more water
- Carbonated beverages
- Should you drink water before or after exercise?
THE MS GYM