I'm excited to share that I've been given permission to release yet another exclusive interview from last summer's Thrive Summit that was previously only available to the MS Gym membership. The topic of discussion is ANXIETY which can become a very real component of living with an unpredictable disease.
From identifying the differences between dealing with true anxiety or just being an overthinker, to the techniques and therapies used to treat anxiety, Dr. Miriam Franco breaks it all down for us in a way that makes it easier to digest. Whether you are currently dealing with anxiety or not, there's a lot to be learned in this episode.
- What makes having anxiety different from being a worrier or overthinker?
- The human survival response and fear
- Why zebras don't get ulcers
- Over-anticipation of the future
- Is anxiety caused by MS or is it a result of living with MS?
- Mourning temporary losses
- Not knowing where to go for help
- Building a "team" of professionals to assist
- You DO get to choose your response
- When to know it's time to seek professional help
- Interrupting the circuit of stress
- The confusion around relapses
- Relapses vs. pseudo relapses
- Effective stress reduction
- Fear of being prescribed drugs for anxiety and depression
- Distinguishing between fatigue and depression
- What is neuronal reserve?
- MS fatigue is not the same as normal fatigue
- The value of rest to offset fatigue and sustaining neuronal reserve
- What is guided imagery?
- The difference between guided imagery and meditation
- Lowering injection and MRI anxiety
- Becoming a mental ally with your MS medication
- The ImageryWork app
- Claustrophobia and MRI
- Coping with anxiety in bite-sized steps