HOW TO APPLY FOR SOCIAL SECURITY DISABILITY* Getting Past the Stigma & Moving Forward with Confidence
Social security disability. It's a benefit we hope we never have to claim, and one so many of us hesitate to apply for. You may be saying things to yourself like...
Will I be able to afford to quit my job if I go on social security disability?
Will people think I'm giving up, looking for a free ride, or that I no longer have any value?
Am I disabled enough to qualify?
Even if I do decide to apply, I have no idea where to start.
In this episode I'll be talking one-on-one with Pittsburgh-based Attorney Dennis Liotta, of Edgar Snyder and Associates.
Dennis has been representing social security disability claimants for over 20 years. For the last decade, he's been recognized as a top legal talent by the well-respected peer review publication, Best Lawyers in America. Add to that his designation as a Pennsylvania Super Lawyer, out of outstanding lawyers from over 70 areas of practice, and I was confident that I found just the right person to help me tackle this touchy and often complex subject.
- The shocking percentage of initial claims denied
- How being under 50 may work against you
- How preparation can help you beat the backlog
- If your claim is denied and you need to appeal
- The application itself. Be prepared to ask for help.
- Are you disabled enough to qualify?
- What about my pride?
- Workplace accommodation
- What if I'm young or haven't worked very long?
- SSD & SSI. What's the difference?
- What does the social security administration (SSA) consider "disabled"?
- Do SSD laws vary per state?
- Back pay. What is it, and will I receive it?
- Can I work part-time and still receive disability benefits?
- What if you decide to go back to work again and realize you can't do it?
- How do disability benefits effect your taxes?
- One mistake that almost always guarantees denial!
- Does the SSA continue to monitor your health status after you begin receiving benefits?
- The #1 tip for improving your odds of approval
- Documentation. Documentation. Documentation.
- The stigma surrounding social security disability
- The two best ways to apply
- The one way you shouldn't apply
Attorney, Dennis Liotta, Edgar Snyder & Associates
Social Security Administration
The MS Gym
NEW! The MS Gym Podcast on Instagram
*Social Security Disability is a Federal program of the United States government that provides assistance to people with disabilities.