Thursday Jun 08, 2023
Thursday Jun 08, 2023
With summer, vacation months upon us, at least here in the U.S., for those of us living with mobility issues, it adds on an extra layer of complexity and consideration into planning a trip.
Things like...Is your vacation rental gonna have steps? Is it going to have an elevator? Are you going to be able to get to your connecting flight fast enough through the airport? Are you going to hold everybody back because you're slow? Are you even going to be able to enjoy yourself on the trip? You know what I'm talking about.
Today's guest is going to tell you how you can conquer all of your fears with ease...on a scooter. That's right. It's the mobility device you didn't know you needed. Maybe the mere thought of using one makes you want to stop listening. Maybe you think you're not ready or bad enough yet to use a scooter.
Well, you can keep wasting your time and your physical energy trying to get all of your daily tasks completed. You can struggle through trying to keep up with the crowd. You can continue to rely on others to get you where you need or want to go. Or, you can listen to today's guest debunk all of your misgivings and tell you how it's done.
Join me in welcoming Jodi Johnson, one of our fellow MS Gymmers, to the podcast.
- Rapid decline
- Most symptoms -related
- Persistent foot drop
- Enter mobility aids
- From strolling to rolling
- Starting with canes
- The joy and frustration that came with deciding to use a mobility aid
- Traveling with aids
- Discovering a workaround for walking longer distances
- Renting a wheelchair even though she wasn't "ready"
- Feeling small
- Being an ambulatory wheelchair user
- Trying out a walker/wheelchair combo…even in Portugal and Costa Rica
- Getting unapologetically used to using a mobility aid
- Mobility aids in the home
- Getting her first scooter
- Shocked at the freedom and portability of a scooter
- Going to the mall again!
- Getting her independence back
- Using multiple mobility aids depending on how she was feeling on any given day
- Acquiring her bumblebee scooter
- Flying with a foldable scooter
- The Transformer by Solax
- Getting a lift for her car - Bruno Scooter Lifts for vehicles
- Opening up doors for travel
- Been on over 40+ flights
- Being aware of potential airline damage
THE MS GYM: