July 14, 2021
Join us as we explore the musical passions of one of our own international MS Gym Buddy Groups. Today, we will cross time zones and country borders to learn how these members:
- Each began their own musical journey
- Came together as a group sharing their passion for music
- Found community across cultures and country lines
- Beat isolation by forming bonds
- Shared their dreams and fears about the present and future
- Collaborated their musical talents to create music
- Made music despite their disability and technical challenges
- Inspired each other while finding their own inner purpose
- Each found The MS Gym
- Shared their dreams and losses together
- Seek to inspire others with their music
The MS Gym
Gravity & Gratitude - Youtube video
July 3, 2021
I'm so excited to bring you the 4th and final episode of the series of interviews from the MS Gym's Thrive Summit, previously available to members only.
I'm even more excited that the interview is with fan favorite, and former guest, registered dietitian, Ahna Crum. Ahna, who's certified in Integrative and Functional Medical Nutrition, will be completing her masters in Human Nutrition and Functional Medicine by the end of this year. As juicy as her credentials sound, her previous series on MS and diets are even juicier, and I don't even think she knows this, but they still hold the record for the most downloads of any episodes in MS Gym Podcast history. She's that good!
This particular 5 to Thrive interview you'll be listening to today is no less stellar and focuses on five crucial areas of importance when it comes to diet and living with MS. I had to re-listen to it today to take notes for the episode and it sucked me in all over again. Hanging on every word.
It's important to note that in this episode, there are multiple times Ahna refers to a handout that the attendees of the Thrive Summit received as part of her presentation. A link to that handout will be in the Episode Notes and I highly recommend you download it. It takes all the information that you will hear in the interview and dives even deeper into each topic. I've read the entire handout and it's really a must have.
- True results come with testing and individualization
- Inflammation and joint health
- Inflammation as it relates to added sugars
- How the inflammation presents itself
- Blood sugar dysregulation
- Neurotransmitter balance
- Sugar from fruits
- Sports drinks
- Weight gain
- Hormone imbalance
- Circadian rhythm
- Defining neurotransmitters
- GABA is a big one! Why you need it.
- Why too much Glutamate can be a problem
- Baclofen and GABA
- Ingestion is not the same as absorption
- Magnesium and the neurotransmitter connection
- Magnesium glycinate
- GABA and sleep
- How much sleep you should be getting with MS
- No sleep, no healing
- Inflammation and oxidative stress
- Don't skip carbs
- Choosing the right carbohydrates
- Good carbs and bad carbs
- Choosing whole foods sources
- Why the glycemic index matters
- Protein for healing
- Protein and exercise
- Nine essential amino acids
- A vegan or vegetarian approach and why it's harder work
- Vitamin B12 is not found in plants
- MS and the fat controversy
- Omega 3 intake to balance Omega 6
- Good fats and bad fats
- What about butter?
- A challenge to drink more water
- Carbonated beverages
- Should you drink water before or after exercise?
5 to Thrive Handout
THE MS GYM
June 2, 2021
In this episode, I'm speaking to renowned neurologist, Dr. Mitzi Joi Williams of Atlanta, Georgia, regarding the increasingly popular mode of medical communication called telemedicine. At no other time in the history of medicine has this option to communicate with our health care professionals been more important. In addition to a behind the scenes look at telemedicine, we discuss the many advantages of this mode of communication and what we can expect in the future. This interview is # 3 of 4 from the MS Gym's Thrive Summit, previously available only to Summit attendees. I'm excited to be able to share this exclusive info with all of you.
- What is telemedicine?
- Video assessment
- Who is the perfect candidate for telemedicine?
- What are physicians loving about telemedicine
- Who telemedicine is NOT for
- Telemedicine and insurance billing/reimbursement
- Will telemedicine become the norm?
- How to give a neurologic exam online
- HIPPA in the age of online medicine
- Ensuring online security
- Interstate access to doctors
- Prescribing medications
- Top 3 advantages of telemedicine versus in-person appointments
- Telemedicine is not only for during a pandemic
- The future of telemedicine for doctors and patients
DR. MITZI JOI WILLIAMS
To schedule an appointment with Dr. Mitzi: Joi Life Wellness Group
For more information on Dr. Mitzi, visit her personal website, to book her as a speaker, purchase her books, or read her blog, at https://drmitzijoimd.com/
THE MS GYM
May 19, 2021
Join us today as we delve into the life of one of our international MS Gym family members, all the way from Ireland.
Learn how Denise:
- Was diagnosed with MS
- Coped with various MS medications
- Underwent a month long hospital stay due to a relapse
- Decided to travel to Russia to undergo HSCT
- Recovered from treatment during the onset of Covid lockdowns
- Found The MS Gym
- Learned to "trust the process"
- Achieved incredible walking victories through consistent effort & belief
Motivation Monday: If you can walk 3 steps...You can walk 30
May 5, 2021
I'm excited to share that I've been given permission to release yet another exclusive interview from last summer's Thrive Summit that was previously only available to the MS Gym membership. The topic of discussion is ANXIETY which can become a very real component of living with an unpredictable disease.
From identifying the differences between dealing with true anxiety or just being an overthinker, to the techniques and therapies used to treat anxiety, Dr. Miriam Franco breaks it all down for us in a way that makes it easier to digest. Whether you are currently dealing with anxiety or not, there's a lot to be learned in this episode.
- What makes having anxiety different from being a worrier or overthinker?
- The human survival response and fear
- Why zebras don't get ulcers
- Over-anticipation of the future
- Is anxiety caused by MS or is it a result of living with MS?
- Mourning temporary losses
- Not knowing where to go for help
- Building a "team" of professionals to assist
- You DO get to choose your response
- When to know it's time to seek professional help
- Interrupting the circuit of stress
- The confusion around relapses
- Relapses vs. pseudo relapses
- Effective stress reduction
- Fear of being prescribed drugs for anxiety and depression
- Distinguishing between fatigue and depression
- What is neuronal reserve?
- MS fatigue is not the same as normal fatigue
- The value of rest to offset fatigue and sustaining neuronal reserve
- What is guided imagery?
- The difference between guided imagery and meditation
- Lowering injection and MRI anxiety
- Becoming a mental ally with your MS medication
- The ImageryWork app
- Claustrophobia and MRI
- Coping with anxiety in bite-sized steps
Dr. Miriam Franco
The MS Gym
April 21, 2021
In today's episode, we chat with Annice and learn more about her own journey with MS and how:
- She was diagnosed later in life
- Love helped her overcome cancer and continues to help her live with gratitude through the challenges of MS
- Staying in the present moment has helped her overcome each day and not to be overcome by it
- She adapted the All or Something principle into her everyday life
- She finds joy doing chores
- Exercise has helped her combat fatigue and balance issues
- Her "blue man" helps her mindset
- Adopting neuroplasticity has made life better
- She found community through her Buddy Group
- She moved from being "disabled" to "differently abled"
THE MS GYM
Motivation Monday - ALL OR SOMETHING
March 24, 2021
In this week's episode, I'll be sharing my interview with neurologist, Dr. Bianca Weinstock-Guttman. She's a professor of Neurology at Buffalo University, where her expertise regarding the Epstein Barr Virus (EBV) and her collaborative research as to how EBV relates to MS is extensive and impressive.
This interview was originally recorded as part of The MS Gym's 2020 virtual Thrive Summit, which I had the honor of hosting last summer. While the rest of the world was on lockdown, we were reaching out to experts to share their knowledge in the fields of Anxiety, Telemedicine, Diet, and in this case, the EBV/MS connection.
- Elements that contribute to EBV being a trigger to MS
- Questioning if you have MS at all
- What type of virus is EBV?
- The focus on B cells
- Can EBV remain latent?
- EBV triggers
- DMTs, immunosuppression and EBV
- Does having had mononucleosis put you at higher risk of MS?
- Mononucleosis can be silent
- Keeping our children too clean
- The role of T cells
- Mononucleosis increases risk of MS x3
- EBV reactivation
- Aging, immunosuppression and a higher risk of herpes zoster
- Is there a treatment for EBV?
Dr. Bianca Weinstock-Guttman
THE MS GYM
March 10, 2021
Join us as we delve into Trish's story and learn more about:
- Her rare neurological diagnosis
- How she found The MS Gym
- Her daily habits to improve her mindset
- How she lives with joy & laughter amidst her challenges
- Her goals and desires for the future
The MS Gym
Motivation Monday - Chemistry, Butterflies & A Rock
February 24, 2021
In this episode, I'm joined by my MS Gym Podcast co-host, Jodi Feltham.
We're going to be chatting about what happens when you become addicted to your MS. That's right. When your MS consumes your thoughts and your discomfort becomes your comfort zone.
- Getting stuck in the MS loop
- Dwelling in the moments of dread
- Doomsday thinking
- Are you aware?
- Is it easier when you're distracted
- How much can you control?
- Flexibility is a requirement
- Are you obsessing?
- How to re-route your negative thoughts
- Being present to stay grounded
- Fighting. Is it worth it?
- Negotiating with your MS
- An MS-free day
- MS is a lifetime project
- When acceptance goes sideways
- Guilty of not contributing enough
- Putting your inabilities into perspective
- Your illusion of expectations from others
- We are more than what we can physically accomplish
- Contributing behind the scenes
- You are not alone in your thoughts
- Accepting losses
- Opportunities for cultivating richer relationships
- Losing hope
- Exciting changes in The MS Gym
The MS Gym - Website - Instagram - Facebook
The MS Gym Podcast on Instagram